7.01.2007

188 - Crazy Van

So - Over the last few years I have bought a lot of film/video gear. I have used most of it on many jobs, each time loading up the pickup truck and unloading it when the job is done. That is getting old, and it is time to upgrade to a small van. Here is my dilemma. Do I go 100% practical and professional (ie:boring) van, or do I have fun in the process and risk the professionalism? If the answer is the latter, then I have found the van for me. It will have to be altered, but wow, take a look:


A 1977 Dodge Tradesman with too many crazy added features to mention them all. Some of them would have to be altered or removed for this van to serve me, but others may not. Besides the crazy added lighting (hey, I am into lighting) there is a sound system that is almost twice the safe level for human ears. I never have liked a car pulling along side me with a loud system, but if I bought this I could blast some polka music, or something equally as nuts, back at those people!



If that's not enough - look at this crazy VIDEO of the van.
Ya, probably too much, huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what no mural?

Carolyn said...

Maybe in this case your two interests - practicality and over-the-top aesthetics - are at odds. Can both be served well at the same time without getting in the way of each other? Do you want to be known in your business as the "crazy van guy?" or the guy who does excellent work and has nice clean gear in good condition? I suppose a flashy vehicle would help you get customers if you were in a business that served a larger community (the geek squad cars are an example.) Another issue is when the flashy things on the van break, do you want to spend time and money to fix them? Because if you don't then it will be the van that used to be cool and there is nothing less cool than that. My last point would be that the cusomizations are not as interesting to me becasue you did not design them yourself. I think you would have done it much differently. Ask yourself if this van reveals all it should about your true self.

Anonymous said...

As a stranger who is just surfing, the van says "pedophile" to me.

Unknown said...

I'm a van geek all my life and when I see the creativity and or imagination that goes into these vehicles, it reminds me of "the house" that draws people's awesome around Christmas, Halloween etc...this is a true way to show what you can do and a great way to promote your business. If it's within your budget, go for it!..something breaks?,..fix it and write it off at the end of the year..kudos!..awesome work!