4.06.2006

Day Eighteen - Frank Black



February 22, 2000 at the Electric Fetus. Frank Black was playing an acoustic in-store pre-show and I showed up early, camera in hand. After finding out where he was to play, I conned the staff into letting me adjust some lights in order to get enough exposure for a photo. I was shooting 3200 speed film, which is great in low light, but the area that he was to be in was way too dark. So I adjusted three of their track lights into the chosen spot and killed some time looking through the cd's. The crowd was smaller than I expected, considering his talent, musical history, and the strength of his latest solo release. As he blasted through his first couple of songs I blasted away at my film, trying not to be the obnoxious camera guy. Seconds after this shot was taken, he looked over at one of the employees and said, "Is there any way we can get these lights off, they are right in my face?". That's ok, I had gotten my shot and so I just enjoyed the rest of the show.

No comments: