4.14.2006

Day Twenty Six - GraveYard Tales - Pt 2


(Make-Up done by yours truly, but it was 15 years ago so give me a break!)

Where were we? Two posts ago I was writing about the store that I worked in during high school. Scroll down to check it out, otherwise this might not make sense.

So one day, while working at Steins a guy, named Jeff Smith, came in asking about doing gore make-up. He had gone through college and majored in accounting and after a few years of working at a boring office, decided that he needed to try and live out his dream of making movies. I showed him some tricks, and by the end of our conversation he asked if I knew anyone who might want to work on a horror movie. At that point Evil Dead 2 was one of my all time favorite films so I quickly replied, "Yes, Me!".


We began working on projects together. It was a good match, because he liked to write and direct and I liked to shoot and edit. We had all the equipment that we needed from the high-school so things started to happen. Jeff somehow got hooked up with another high-school kid named Alex who was a hugh horror fan. Not only a horror fan, but his wealthy family allowed him to travel to horror conventions where he would buy film props and memorabilia. The first time that I went to meet him in his parents brownstone in Old-town was taken aback. I walked into a beautiful hundred year old house loaded with amazing antique furniture. But when Alex opened his bedroom door it was like a world class museum of slasher films. Floor to ceiling posters, props, books, and movies. In fact, he had barrels hanging from his ceiling that were used in some Toxic Avenger movie, he had a face hugger from the 1st ALIENS film. These are just 2 of the hundreds of things that were all over that room.

So we proceeded to shoot a trailer for the horror film, GraveYard Tales, that we all wanted to make. We used many of the props that Alex had, and although we shot it on film, it was transferred and I edited it at school. At that time all our school projects were put onto a local TV cable access show without any censorship.

The day after our trailer was shown, my teacher Phil called me into his office. "Sit down, Wilson and read this" It was a letter from the cable TV station saying that our participation in broadcasting to the station was to be cut off. They not only aired the trailer without looking at it, but got some complaints about it. At first I was worried, but Phil was calm and said that he thought it was rather funny and didn't really mind all that much.

Beware...more soon!

No comments: