5.01.2006

Day Thirty Five - On the Road


It was late when I called.

You were studying and I was working. Months had gone by since we last spoke but it didn't seem that way after just a few minutes. All the ghosts quickly came out as the walls crumbled down, leaving them with nowhere to hide.
Nothing was unsafe, as it was when we were together, together in the truck, together downstairs and later together in other states.

Only recently I realized that I only have one decent picture of you, one frame of you without family or friends. I used to take a lot of photose. You would think that I would have at least a few more where you where the only subject.
In this particular image you are on an empty corner, overlooking a valley. Next to you is a street sign. You have on my wool surplus jacket so it must have been in the fall. Not only was it chilly, but the colors were soft, in the way that dusk slowly mutes everything as daylight sinks away.
I must be in the street taking your picture. Even then we were comfortable being apart. I liked my time alone, and you, well you were one of the most independent people that I knew. That never bothered me for it added to the feeling of security in an odd way. I didn't have to hope for anything, because I knew back then that you wouldn't stay still. I also knew that time changes much of what you forget to stop planning for, and that as the days string out, the events that fill them can never be fully known until the day is over. Even then, the effects can slowly linger and bubble for lifetimes.

No comments: